Sunday, March 16, 2008

Earning versus Working






There is a big difference between earning tips and just working for tips!
When I started working, back when I was a teenager, I was "working for tips". I made just enough to pay for all my needs and some extras.

When I moved out on my own and got my first apartment, I need to make more money. I started to realize that the best money makers were "earning" their tips instead of just "working" for them. There is a very subtle difference.

When you "work" for tips you assume that putting in your time, taking the order and delivering the product ENTITLES you to a tip.

When you start "earning" tips is when you realize there are many subtle little methods to convincing your customer to leave you a larger than usual tip. It’s all in your perception. Give the customer more and get more back in return. Once I made that little adjustment in my thinking and started to research what worked and what didn’t, my income increased dramatically.

I would bank my paycheck and live off of my tips.

I know people who work part time and have put themselves through college by "earning" tips. I know many full time servers who don’t understand the difference and are still struggling financially, putting in countless hours "working" for tips. Never underestimate the power of earning your tips. It is one of the oldest "respected" professions out there.(besides that other one!).

Make the adjustment in your own head. Stop putting in time. Earn more money by working on "earning tips"!

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=d35739cece857ae25918317ada64104a 6 27